Procedure for submitting a complaint in the case of public authorities

Complain to institution

If the institution that has collected, stored and processed your private information is a public authority and you believe that the processing of your information has resulted in harm to your right to private life, you should complain to the authority that has processed your data.

In your application you should:

  • refer to the relevant provisions that entitle you to the right to seek compensation
  • provide arguments about which activities were unlawful or applied in a disproportionate way and why
  • name the legal provisions which have been violated
  • indicate the amount of the requested compensation
  • add relevant documents that substantiate your opinion, if there are any

The institution itself or its supervising authority will assess whether the institution has acted lawfully and, if not, may order compensation.

Appeal to Administrative court

If you are not satisfied with the decision taken by the authority, you can challenge the decision in the Administrative court. You can learn more about how to prepare your application in the Code of Administrative Court Procedure.

The Administrative court will assess whether the data user has acted lawfully. If the data user has not acted lawfully and it caused you damage, the court may oblige the institution to provide compensation.


Last updated 08/06/2019