Before you can appeal a state institution’s decision in administrative offences proceedings to the court, you must first follow the regular complaints procedure. Some administrative offences are examined directly by the court.

Initial decision

Your case was examined by a state institution which is responsible for the type of violation you are charged with. If you were found guilty, the state institution would have issued a decision and imposed a penalty.

The smallest penalty applicable is a warning; the heaviest penalty is 30 days of administrative detention.

Appeal to a higher official

If you disagree and want to appeal this decision, you must first appeal to a higher official or department within that same state institution. You must follow the complaints procedure and time limits mentioned in the decision.

Appeal before court

Where you still disagree with the decision of the higher official or department, you can appeal it before a court in administrative offences proceedings.

example If you are charged with a violation of traffic regulations, your case will initially be examined by the police who may decide to give you a fine. If you do not agree with the fine, you can to appeal it to the chief of that police department. The decision by the police must indicate, in writing, where and how much time you have to appeal. If, after that decision you still disagree, you can appeal in court.

Last updated 02/01/2017