The Chancellor can:

1. Investigate if legislation is in conformity with the Constitution and other laws

You have the right to turn to the Chancellor of Justice to review the conformity of an act or regulation with the Constitution or the law. 

2. Check the activity of authority or official
You have a right to turn to the Chancellor if you find that an authority, an official or a legal person governed by private law performing public duties violates your constitutional rights and freedoms, treats you unlawfully or against the principles of good administration. 

3. Investigate an application about ill-treatment in a closed institution

If you find that you are being ill-treated in a place of restraint you can turn to the Chancellor with an application to check the activity of that institution or official. Ill-treatment is torture or other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

4. Conduct a conciliation procedure in discrimination cases

If you find that you are being discriminated because of your gender, race, nationality, skin color, language, origin, religion or religious beliefs, political or other opinion, proprietary or social situation, age, disability, sexual orientation or other status named in law, you can turn to the Chancellor who can carry out a conciliation procedure.

5. Initiate disciplinary proceedings against judges

If you find that a judge violates the obligations of his or her office in adjudicating your case, you can submit an application to the Chancellor of Justice. The Chancellor has a right to initiate disciplinary proceedings against judges based on your application. 

The Chancellor of Justice cannot:

The Chancellor can only fulfill those tasks which are outlined under the Constitution and Chancellor of Justice Act, Therefore, it cannot:

  • initiate a conciliation procedure in discrimination cases on her/his own initiative
  • resolve an application, if a court judgment, a ruling on termination of judicial or offence proceedings or a decision of body conducting extra-judicial proceedings has entered into force in the matter of the application
  • resolve an application if the matter stated in the application is concurrently subject to judicial or offence or compulsory pre-trial complaint proceeding
  • revoke or change decisions of courts or state institutions
  • examine the evidence in court cases
  • punish state officials or private individuals
  • give you compensation for a violation of your human rights
  • write applications to courts or state institutions or write other legal documents for you
  • represent you in the European Court of Human Rights or other international body


Last updated 11/04/2024