How do you complain about mistreatment by the police and ask for compensation?

Rigth to complain

If you believe that police officers have treated you unlawfully during your detention, you have the right to complain about their behaviour.

You have the right to complain if you believe that the police used excessive force when detaining and/or escorting you, and also during your stay in your cell. You can also complain if the police did not ensure that your basic needs were met.  For example, they did not provide you with food or water, did not call for medical aid when necessary or if they did not allow you to inform your family or employer about your detention. 

Where to submit the complaint?

Mistreatment or disrespect of your rights by the police will be investigated by a police officer or an institution of a higher level or by court. To complain about the behaviour of a police officer, you can submit a complaint to his direct supervisor. The supervisor will either examine your submission himself/herself or, if necessary, will forward the complaint to the Internal Security Bureau, which can investigate whether the violation against you resulted in a criminal offence. You can also submit the electronic notice about offence on the webpage of police. To complain about the behavior of a police, you can also submit a complaint to a court. The police and as well as court might ask you for more explanations or documentation, if necessary. 

Where and when you can appeal the decision must be indicated in the decision of police and also in the decision of court.

Impact on your criminal case

If you believe that your mistreatment could be related to, and leave an impact on your rights in your criminal case, read more about the complaint mechanisms.


You can also request compensation if you believe that your rights were violated due to the mistreatment by the police.

Read more how to request compensation:

Dig deeper


Last updated 23/07/2019