How do you complain about conditions in the place of detention and ask for compensation?

When detained you are held in a temporary place of detention. You have the right to be held in conditions that are not inhumane or degrading. Read more about the conditions in the place of detention.

Complaint to the police or court

If you believe that the conditions in the temporary place of detention violated your rights, you can complain about this to the police department responsible for this place of detention based on the Administrative Procedure Act or against to the police department to the administrative court based on the Code of Administrative Court Procedure Act. You may also claim compensation if you believe that you have suffered any material or moral damages. 


When filing the claim, you should explain all the relevant facts, the type of violation, how it occurred and add evidence, if you have any. The relevant institution will not consider the compensation claim without also evaluating whether the claimed violations occurred. The police or court might ask you for more explanations or documentation, where necessary. The procedure for how to ask for compensation and how it will be considered is explained in the State Liability Act


If you are not satisfied with the decision of the police, you can appeal their decision to an administrative court. The police have to indicate where you can appeal within their decision. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the administrative court you can appeal their decision according to Code of Administrative Court Procedure Act to the higher instance of administrative court.

Complaint to the Health Board

If you were seen by a doctor during your arrest period and you were not satisfied by the quality of the treatment received, you can submit a complaint to the Health Board. The procedure for writing an application is explained on the website of the Health Board. The Health Board will consider your application free of charge, make a decision about the next appropriate step and ask you for further documentation, if necessary. 


Last updated 22/07/2019